Bachelor of Arts, Major in Fine Arts, Minor in English (May 2002) Centre College, Danville, Kentucky
Master of Arts, Adult Education, Western Kentucky University, Bowling Green Kentucky
- Certificate in Instructional Design
- 12 hours earned
March 2019 – February 2020, TiER1 Performance Solutions, Cincinnati, Ohio
Instructional Design Consultant – Met with clients to understand their needs. Develop interesting and memorable training using knowledge of adult learners and pedagogy.
- Contributed to a highly collaborative, high-performance, and cross-disciplinary environment.
- Supported clients and internal TiER1 learning teams with instructional design, training development and delivery, instructional technology, and instructional strategy.
- Supported analysis, design, and development of solutions in the learning discipline and the implementation and design of technologies used for their delivery.
October 2018 – March 2019, London Computer Systems, Cincinnati, Ohio
Instructional Designer – Created high-quality, engaging, effective training materials and modules to provide meaningful training for different audiences. Worked closely with subject matter experts to become knowledge leader in Rent Manager and other London Computer Systems products.
- Conceptualized training courses from start to finish.
- Developed and built fun and effective multi-modal training courses that engage learners.
- Applied instructional design theories to both new and existing training.
- Developed assessment tests to verify that training courses are effective.
- Contributed to the review of other training courses and technical documentation.
March 2014 – October 2018, Eastern Kentucky University, Richmond, Kentucky
Instructional Designer – Worked collaboratively with professors, media services and other instructional designers to deliver educational content in an asynchronous learning environment.
- Managed all Department of Psychology courses and general education courses.
- Designed and implemented the Department of Psychology’s online footprint.
- Helped content holders choose tools to best fit their learning objectives.
- Built courses to meet Quality Matters standards.
- Presented instructional design topics to EKU stakeholders.
December 2012 – March 2014, Kentucky Educational Television, Lexington, Kentucky
Kentucky Adult Education Instructional Technology Consultant – Served as a resource to adult education programs throughout Kentucky, taught programs how to integrate technology with instruction, developed a technology implementation plan, and created trainings responding to state and program needs.
- Developed a five-year plan to increase adult education instructors’ instructional technology skills.
- Identified best practices for technology integration in instruction.
- Identified local program technology needs.
- Collaborated with KYAE on priority programs and content to be shared.
August 2003 – December 2012, Thorn Hill Education Center, Frankfort, Kentucky
Assistant Director – Provided leadership to staff, acted as the executive director when necessary, and maintained my role as an instructor.
- Created new curriculum for writing students to share digital documents to develop skills.
- Successfully applied for three Kentucky Adult Education Core Services grants.
- Developed and implemented technology modernization plan for Thorn Hill Education Center at 6% anticipated cost.
- Developed an online learning framework that could be replicated across CMS platforms and integrated with social media networks.
Fall 2016, IDC Brown Bag Series, EKU
Co-Presenter: “Time Saving Strategies in Online Education”
Fall 2015, 2016, Nursing Department Training, EKU
Co-Presenter: “Pushing Your Use of Blackboard”
Fall 2015, Pedagogicon, Richmond, Kentucky
Co-Presenter: “Effortful Learning”
Recurring since 2014, Online Course Development and Teaching Certificate Program, EKU
Co-Presenter: Technology for Instruction
Fall 2014, Math Department Training, EKU
Co-Presenter: “Bringing Success to the Unsuccessful”
Fall 2014, Ad Hoc Presentations, EKU
Presenter: “Academic Integrity in the Online Classroom”
Winter 2014, Ad Hoc Presentations, EKU
Presenter: “Backchannel Communications”
Summer 2013, Integrating Technology in the Classroom, Online.
Delivered via YouTube: self directed, self produced, self edited.
Used with Kentucky Orientation for New Instructors.
Fall 2013, Twitter and Pedagogy: Using Twitter in the Classroom. Online.
Hosted Google Hangouts panel discussion.
Panel including guests from Kentucky Adult Education, New York State, and Quebec.
Fall 2013, Improving Adult Literacy: Using Technology to Support Learning and Motivation. Online.
Panel discussion hosted by Steve Quann, World Education.
One of 10 panelists speaking to a national audience regarding technology with adult students.
Summer 2013, Solutions in Education Training Conference, Indianapolis, Indiana
Keynote: “Technology in the Adult Education Classroom,”
Presenter: “Blending Technology with Tradition,”
Closing: “Going High Tech on a Low Tech Budget.”
Fall 2013, Georgia 2012 Teacher’s Academy and Adult Education Fall Conference, Atlanta, Georgia
Presenter: “Going High Tech on a Low Tech Budget.”
Spring 2012, National Coalition on Adult Basic Education (COABE) Conference, Norfolk, Virginia
Presenter: “Going High Tech on a Low Tech Budget.”
Winter 2010, Statewide Director’s Conference, Kentucky Adult Education, Frankfort, Kentucky
Presenter: “Reinforcing Technology in the Classroom.”
Spring 2009, National Coalition on Adult Basic Education (COABE) Conference, Louisville, Kentucky
Co-presenter: “Bridging the Digital Divide: Creating Your Own Online Curriculum,” Lead Presenter with Erika Larson (KYAE) assisting. Rated in the Top 10 of over 150 presentations.
Panelist: “Does Technology Work Magic in Your Classroom?” Presented with Alan Toops, Lisa Larson – (Ohio Literacy Network) and Tonya Crum – (KET)
Summer 2007, KYAE Regional Conferences, Bowling Green, Lexington, and Louisville, Kentucky
Presenter: “Integrating Curriculum Using Technology.”
Fall 2005, KYAE Conference, Louisville, Kentucky
Co-presenter: “How to get Results with Teens,” Peg Harmon lead presenter. Presentation focused on working with At Risk Youth, both program implementation and instruction.
June 2004, Kentucky ASAP Conference, Bowling Green, Kentucky
Presenter: “Using Lessons Learned from Special Needs to Help All Students,” presentation discussed importance of learning styles coupled with multi-sensory memory devices and diet. Conference hosted by Green River Regional Educational Cooperative, Inc.
January 2017, Transferring Information from Faculty Development to Classroom Practice: A Mixed-Method Study. The Journal for Faculty Development.
October 2012 – March 2014, Tech Teaching in the Adult Education Classroom. Blog hosted by KET.
Authored a blog to share my thoughts on research and uses of technology in classrooms, and to offer a resource to peers.
Spring 2017, Academic Integrity Committee, participant
Led by Steve Dwinnells; Director, Instructional Design Center; Office of E-Campus Learning. Purpose of group was to research and make suggestions on threats and perceived threats against academic honor codes in the online environment.
Fall 2016, General Education Template Update Committee, Chair.
Review previous template created for General Education Courses and update for current use.
Winter 2015 – Spring 2017, Emerging Technologies Group, Participant
Hosted by EKU Libraries purpose of group was to research and gain access to upcoming technology, bring it to the university, and expose the campus body to the technology.
2009 The Kentucky Learning Depot Planning Group, Member, Standards/Evaluation Team
2008 Kentucky Adult Education Professional Development Advisory Group,
Distance Learning/Technology Advisor
July 2014, “A Revolution: Adding Activities to any Youtube.” Tech Tips for Teachers, by Steve Quann and Leah Peterson at World Education.
Spring 2012, “Going High Tech on a Low Tech Budget.” KET Adult Learning Newsletter, volume 27, issue 2.
Volunteering and Formative Experiences
July 2017 – Present, Organizer and Commissioner, Midwest College Rugby Conference
2009 – 2014, Kentucky Commission on Community Volunteerism and Service, Frankfort, Kentucky
August 2010 – November 2013, The Kings Center, Frankfort, Kentucky
2009-2010, Boy Scouts of America, Frankfort, Kentucky
Assistant Scoutmaster: Troop 1, Bluegrass Council
Spring 2008, Rotary Club International, Frankfort, Kentucky
Group Study Exchange: Member, Japan
Fall 2004, Boy Scouts of America, Frankfort, Kentucky
Crew Advisor: Venturing Crew 420, Blue Grass Council
Spring 1999, Boy Scouts of America, Wilmington, North Carolina
Assistant Scoutmaster: Boy Scout Troop 232, Cape Fear Council
Fall 1998, Semester in Baja Mexico, National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS), Lander, Wyoming
1994-1997, Royal Canadian Army Cadets, Lennoxville, Quebec
Chief Master Warrant Officer, Regimental Sergeant Major: Bishop’s College School CC #2
National Goldstar Leadership Award, 1996
Spring 1993, Boys Scouts of America, Pensacola, Florida
Troop 407, Gulf Coast Council